Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Ask FS! 4/3/07

Welcome back loyal readers! It's time once again for the only online column to constantly run out of humorous things to say, it's "Ask FS!" Today's question comes to us from Juan in Puerto Rico! Juan asks
What was your favorite moment from this season?
Great question Juan! Although I can't pick just one, I'm going to do it in the time-honored American Tradition, a top 10 list!

10. The Minnesota Wild and Calgary Flames play to a scoreless tie - last week. It was the best game of the season.
9. Olaf Kolzig blows a shutout in the last 5 minutes of the game. Pick any of the dozen or so times it's happened this year! One of the best goalies of the last ten years, but he hasn't had a shutout since the lockout (not that anyone else would playing behind the Caps).
8. Getting up to 2 Hershey Bears games. I've already doubled my attendance from last year. This would be higher up the list, but both games I attended were Shootout losses to Bridgeport. Maybe one of these days I'll see them win.
7. Alexander Ovechkin scores in the all-star game. But because Crosby didn't score, Ovechkin's performance is called a "disappointment." Go figure.
6. John Erskine scores a goal from behind his own net. A short handed goal at that. As it slowly trickled towards the empty net in a 12/2 game against Buffalo.
5. The Caps sweep Philadelphia - Fortunately the Caps managed to play all 4 games against the Flyers before they started playing better late in the season. Around the same time the Caps started to tank. Hmmm . . .
4. Alexander Semin speaks english to me. While attending a Caps practice in december, I got Alexander Semin to sign a puck for a Christmas gift. I told him spaceeba ("thanks" in russian), and he looked up at me, winked and replied "You're Welcome." I wouldn't put Semin winking at me on ANY memorable moment list, though.
3. I started a hockey blog! And the internet took an immediate decline in quality. Seriously, this has been a great way for me to pass the time when I'm supposed to be working. I've even met a few of my fellow bloggers. Oh, well, there's always drawbacks to every endeavor.
2. I met Donald Brashear. I don't like Donald Brashear. I never liked him when he was with the Flyers, but I always respected him. After watching him play this season, I don't really have that going for me anymore either. I'm sure there's something he does in the locker room that makes the team respect him, but I don't see it as a casual fan. That said, during training camp, I was fortunate enough to bump into some friends of mine after practice one day. We wandered outside and talked to the Donald as he was exiting the Ashburn Ice House, not 15 miuntes from my home. As he was signing pictures, I managed to get a loveley little photo of myself and Donald together, just to annoy a fellow Donald-hater in my father.
1. Alexander Ovechkin gets a fighting major without actually throwing a punch. In the same game that John Erskine got his lone goal of the season, Alexander Ovechkin pulled up on a check that sent Daniel Briere flying into the boards. It wasn't a clean hit, but it wasn't that dirty. It wasn't nearly as dirty as the spear Daniel Briere delivered to Ovechkin in their next meeting. Yet two Sabres players jumped over the bench and started pumelling Ovechkin from behind. Ovechkin never had a chance to get his gloves off to defend himself, yet the officials decided to give him a 5 minute major penalty.

Well, there you have it. The warmest memories from a miserable season. If you would like to submit a question to a future edition of "Ask FS!," drop a comment in the comments section below, or send me an email in the link provided in my profile. Until next time, "Let's Go Caps!"

No comments: