Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Meaningless News?

One of the great things about running a hockey blog is that the organization really tries to help out us hockey bloggers. The team invites us to certain press conferences, and a few lucky ones get to go up and be in the press box during games and partake in post-game press-related activities. More related to what I want to talk about today is that the Capitals have placed my email account on their mailing list for all press releases. So the same emails that go to Tarik El-Bashir and Dave Fay and the Associated Press all get sent to my inbox. Sometimes these press releases give me something interesting to write about, like the PR department winning an award I've never heard of. At the other end of the spectrum, I sometimes get press releases that make me wonder if someone gets paid by the word.

This morning I opened up a press release, and there I found this little nugget of joy:
ARLINGTON, Va. – Kettler Capitals Iceplex, training facility of the Washington Capitals, is slated to paint Washington’s brand new, red, white and blue logo on the team’s practice ice sheet this Tuesday, July 3, beginning at 10 a.m. The process which takes about three hours should be completed around 1 p.m. The new red, white and blue logo will be placed prominently at center ice.

WHAT: Kettler Capitals Iceplex logo painting

WHEN: Tuesday, July 3 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)

WHERE: Kettler Capitals Iceplex


That's right, someone in the Capitals infrastructure thought that painting the ice at the Ket was important enough to send out a press release about it.

If anyone out there is near the Ket in the next few days, take a picture and send it to me, and I'll post it here. I'm imagining that the new ice will painted in 3-D or something to warrant this kind of attention.

No comments: